In honor of the beautiful and abundant produce that summer brings, we thought we’d highlight one of our favorite seasonal vegetables – zucchini! Peak season for growing zucchini is June through late August, which makes it the perfect warm weather ingredient.
Here, we used it to create an incredible green goddess pizza layered with organic pesto, three cheeses – ricotta, mozzarella and feta – and topped with sliced zucchini.
I picked these zucchini from our garden, but you can find zucchini at your local grocery store or farmers market. I opted for store-bought pizza dough to save time, but you can use this pizza dough recipe from sugar spun run if you’d like to make it from scratch. Feel free to add other seasonal toppings like avocado, arugula and cherry tomatoes to this summer pizza. Enjoy this pizza by itself or serve it as an appetizer for summer gatherings!
Summer Green Goddess Pizza:
- 1 ball store-bought pizza dough (you can also make from scratch using this recipe)
- ½ -¾ cup mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup pesto
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 2 medium-size zucchini, sliced thin
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Handful of arugula
- Sliced avocado
- Cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
- Preheat your oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet or pizza stone with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a floured surface roll out prepared pizza dough ¼ inch thick. Place the rolled pizza dough onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil on the pizza dough and brush evenly. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese in an even layer, leaving about an inch border empty. Dollop the ricotta cheese on top of the mozzarella. Layer zucchini slices evenly on top and sprinkle with feta cheese for some extra tang!
- Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Top with avocado slices, cherry tomatoes, arugula and salt and pepper to taste.